To protect your braces and complete your treatment on time, it is important to watch the food that you eat and avoid those that can cause damage to your braces. Follow these guidelines while wearing braces to help you avoid problems.
Foods to Avoid:
- Ice – the ultimate brace destroyer!
- Foreign objects such as pens, pencils, fingernails and straws.
- Hard candies such as Jolly Ranchers, hard peppermints, blow pops, etc; the extra sugar will cause plaque to build up.
- Sticky chewy candies such as Starburst, Tootsie Rolls, Gummy Bears, Skittles, etc.
- Chewy snacks such as Fruit Roll Ups, Power Bars, Rice Krispy treat, gum, raisins, caramel, etc. These can damage or loosen your braces.
- Tough breads such as thick pizza crust, bagels, hard rolls, etc.
- Hard snacks such as Fritos, pretzels, nuts, Doritos, tortilla chips, hard tacos, raw carrots, etc.
- All ribs, wings, drumsticks.
- Popcorn – the hulls get under your braces and cause gum infections.
- Sugary drinks. Carbonated soft drinks, which contain phosphoric acid can cause enamel staining and cavities.
Eating these foods may distort wires and break brackets, which will cause a longer treatment time.
Foods you can enjoy:
- Soft Foods such as soups, mashed potatoes, macaroni & cheese, pasta, spaghetti, hot dogs, hamburgers, yogurt, smoothies.
- Cooked vegetables: boiled or steamed vegetables are good for you, but they should be cut into bit sized pieces, and eaten with care.
- Soft candies such as chocolate, Milky Way, Three Musketeers, etc (no nuts).
- Ice cream and frozen yogurt.
- Cut hard foods like apples and carrots into bite-size pieces to make them easier to chew and easier on your braces.
Remember to use your common sense when deciding which foods you can eat, and those to be avoided. If a band or bracket comes loose, please call and let us know, as it is not always possible to repair appliances at your regular appointment without prior warning. As a general office policy, we do not take walk-in appointments; if you are experiencing pain or discomfort that is not manageable with placing orthodontic wax, please call us for a quick same-day “comfort appointment.” We will do our best to get you comfortable as quickly as possible.